WHAT CAN I STUDY IN AUSTRALIA?
ENGLISH COURSES – ELICOS courses
Australian educational institutions offer different English programs with the aim of helping their students meet their personal and professional goals. Each of these programs encompass a number of educational techniques that allow learning in a practical, fun and applicable way in the real world.
English teaching in Australia is of high quality, no matter what program you choose. You will not only practice the language in classrooms but also in each of your daily interactions. However, it is very important that you can choose the program that is closest to your expectations so that you can achieve your goals.
Here we describe each of the programs that you can choose:
- GENERAL ENGLISH
The General English program is designed for all those whose level of English ranges from beginner to advanced. This course can be the base if your objective is to learn the language and reinforce the grammatical and technical aspects.
Studying General English will help you improve your general command of the language by focusing on oral and listening skills, increasing your bilingual confidence when traveling in Australia or working in English.
Commonly, schools handle the following levels in general English programs:
- Pre – intermediate.
- Upper – intermedIate.
- ENGLISH FOR ACADEMIC PURPOSES (EAP)
The English for Academic Purposes or EAP program is designed for students with an upper intermediate or advanced level of English who wish to improve their academic English skills to prepare for and perform better in university studies in a speaking country English. It focuses on oral and written ability for specific academic contexts.
- ENGLISH THAT PREPARES YOU FOR EXAMS
In this category are the IELTS, Cambridge or Academic PTE programs. These courses are designed for students with an upper intermediate or advanced level of English who are looking to prepare for and obtain certifications with good scores from IELTS, Cambridge, TOEFL, TOEIC or Academic PTE.
- IELTS Preparation Course: Helps you develop oral, listening, writing and reading skills in the English language with the goal of achieving a high score on the IELTS test.
- Cambridge Preparation Course: It is a more intense alternative to learning English. It allows you to have more complex conversations and be more successful in daily life in English-speaking countries. Additionally, it gives you the opportunity to become certified and to use this certification in the workplace or university applications.
As well as general English, the Cambridge course has the following levels:
- PTE or Cambridge Preliminary English Test
- FCE or Cambridge First Certificate in English
- CAE or Cambridge in Advanced English.
- Academic PTE: It is a program that helps you develop your oral, listening, writing and reading skills in the English language with the aim of achieving a high score on a PTE exam. It is important to mention that most of these courses are not under CRICOS codification so they do not apply to obtain a student visa, but you can study it extra curricularly.
- ENGLISH FOR TEACHING
English for Teaching programs are designed for all students whose main objective is to dedicate themselves to teaching the English language. Within these programs you will find:
- TESOL – Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages
- EfTC – English for teaching the language to children
- NAATI – program that helps you get certified to act as a NAATI translator and be able to work as such in Australia
It should be noted that Australia has many organizations that help regulate and control the quality of international education such as the Higher Education Standards and Quality Agency (TEQSA) and the Australian Skills Quality Authority (ASQA). These bodies share the responsibility of overseeing the national standards of the institutes that teach English courses.
The leading Australian body for the English language industry in international education in Australia is “English Australia” and it represents more than 100 affiliated institutes delivering English programs. This body’s approach is to ensure that schools:
- Deliver the highest quality English language programs.
- Provide a wide range of support services for a safe learning environment.
- Guarantee the protection of the tuition fee for students of all types of visa.
It is important to note that the well-being of all international students, the quality of their educational experience, and the right to access up-to-date and accurate information is protected by law under the Education Services for Foreign Students (ESOS).